THE POWER OF THE PUMP.

Ahhhhh...The 'love/hate relationship' I have for this little machine. So i've had this little swine for about 2 years now and ...

Ahhhhh...The 'love/hate relationship' I have for this little machine. So i've had this little swine for about 2 years now and even though I have thought about 'accidentally' braking it ha! I honestly don't know what I would do without it now. This is one of the reasons why I can control my diabetes much better than when I was using injections 4-6 times a day!

What is it?
It's basically a small machine powered by trusty AAA batteries that is connected to my body through a cannula. The cannula is changed every 3-4 days depending on how much food I eat (Probably closer to 3 days, when the carbs are calling...what can you do!) Now to most people they would think EW! something is stuck in your body permanently!? I was certainly one of these people, took me 3 years to have the balls to try it out and I haven't looked back since and you literally can't feel a thing, I always have to take a minute and look to see which side of my bum its in because I forget! The pump automatically puts small amounts of insulin in each hour acting as a basal rate and then when I eat I just press some buttons and the insulin goes straight in.

Where do I keep it?
Well... as a teenager and a grown adult I have always complained about having size B/C boobs... however lo and behold they have actually come to some good use as I have a clip that goes on the back of the pump and just clips straight on to the front of my bra... Perks of having NO cleavage girls! Put it this way, If they were any smaller you would see the pump and if they were any bigger i'd have no chance fitting it in between!

Technology these days ey!
When people ask me about my pump I tend to tell them the same salutation every time! Even I was stunned when I found out some of the features.

  1. When I test my blood sugars it bluetooth's the number straight to my pump... Who ever invented that feature was an efficient man or woman!!
  2. Theres a feature called the 'bolus wizard' so I enter what my blood sugars are...then I put in how many carbs are in the meal i am about to eat and all by its little self it calculates exactly how much insulin to take. 
  3. I can set an alarm to vibrate every 2-4 hours to test my blood sugars.
  4. I have a remote...Yes a little cute remote that attaches to my house keys so I don't have to look like that awkward woman in the corner feeling myself down my top to get my pump out! The remote has 2 buttons to basically count the insulin and insert it in! Again...these inventors always thinking outside the box!
Pump malfunction
Now,  I'm not saying this is perfect! unfortunately it can be temperamental at times...for example, when using the inserter to change my pump site it can sometimes go in wrong and the cannula can kink but thats only happened maybe 4-5 times in 2 years and I have noticed hours after so its an easy fix...unless you fall asleep and wake up with a mouth like Ghandi's flipflop (NIGHTMARE that you know). Also I've had an incident or 2 where I have pulled it out in my sleep! 
Bottom line is...When you weigh up the pros and cons, the pros outweigh the cons so its totally worth it!

I am a forgetful person unfortunately so the injections were not for me! I'd forget to inject at least once a day my poor body was probably thinking...christ alive this girl wants to kill me!!

For anyone wanting to try the pump, I recommend it massively! I know some hospitals are reluctant to give them out to everyone because of how expensive they are however, if your going get better control from it the DEMAND it! 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images